I finished a new necklace a couple of nights ago that is a little bit different from any I have done before. Instead of one main textile form, this one has repeated elements going most of the way round the choker wire.
Here I am wearing my latest creation
The individual textile elements are based on an earring design. The size of the fabric pieces gets smaller towards the back though this is hardly noticeable looking at the finished item. At first I just planned to use beads between the textile shapes but then I thought that a little bit of variation was needed, so I added some elements embroidered on soluble fabric just like my experiments at the Sue Rangeley workshop I attended.
The complete necklace
This was just a simple idea that I decided was worth trying but it has already got me thinking about how I could develop it further – watch this space!
A detail view showing the strands made using soluble fabric
Here are some photographs of a textile necklace that I made earlier this year.
I was aiming for a spring-feel, using lots of appliquéd fabrics then embroidering over the top. Although this piece uses lots of the same techniques as many of my other pieces, for some reason it feels a bit different to me. I think it’s partly because I used a lighter, more linear composition than usual, and partly because there’s a lot more colour variation than in my usual work – the extensive use of the pink edging is what ties it together visually. I really liked the end result though it’s quite a departure from my usual style.
Let me know what you think!
(I’ve just put this piece up on Etsy – You can also check it out there.)